This page contains links to various talks or discussion events that I have given or been involved with in the area of science and religion.
- 1 May 2016 “Cosmology, the structure of science, and meaning”. This is a twenty-minute sermon which touches on cosmology and the multi-layered picture of the physical world that science presents. The talk shows that these things point towards the possibility of further meaning, rather than ruling it out.
- 22 September 2015 “Faith and science”. Although there is some overlap in subject matter with previous talks, this one is largely new. It would suit a newcomer to this area. It also offers some new images or ways of putting things for anyone.
- 19 May 2015 “Faithful to science” (Oxford). This has much in common with the talk of 3rd Feb (below) but has new material at the beginning and end. It includes some comments on resisting prejudice and references a couple of points mentioned in the blog.
- 23rd February 2015 “Can Christianity Help Science Improve the World”. This is a contribution to a discussion event organised jointly by Christians in Science Birmingham and the University of Birmingham’s Atheist Secular and Humanist society. The other main speaker was Peter Atkins.
- 3rd February 2015 “Faithful to science” (Cambridge). This introduces some major themes of my book of the same name. I talk about the place and practice of science in a theistic outlook on the world, and I introduce some pointers to what religion offers.